Saturday, November 22, 2008

Extraordinary Progress and a Major "Oh, no!" Moment

November has seen significant forward motion, mostly due to generous use of the delete key. My guesstimate that at least 20,000 words would vanish during editing is turning out to be accurate. Names have been decided upon, most plot holes filled or at least basted shut, only a few scenes not yet fully on the page, and everything else nicely tightened up. The end is (almost) in sight.

Which is good, because I dug out my entry form and read the fine print again and aaack! The mailing deadline is the end of November, not December! How did I get that wrong??? Possibly because I originally downloaded the rules/submission info for last year's competition (it was early in the year and the web page for the 2009 competition was not yet up). Or maybe I'm thinking of a deadline for a different competition. Or maybe I'm just an idiot.

Fortunately, I'm an idiot who listens to her intuition, which told me it was time to double-check contest details as I head into the home stretch. Imagine how I'd feel if I'd discovered this in mid-December! Although that might have been for the best. Would have given me another entire year to fine-tune the plot, edit out the rambling, and work on adding more visual descriptions of places and people.

As it is, though, I'm so close I may as well go for it. Too bad 11/30 is a Sunday, and the Post Office is only open until noon on Saturday. That effectively cuts 2 days from what's left in the month. I'll be taking my package to the Post Office a week from today.

Fortunately I'm self-employed, have no big Thanksgiving plans this year, and am blessed with a wonderful (supportive, patient) husband. A week is plenty of time to slog through my lengthy list of holes still to fill, details to add, corrections to make to essential plot points the story has morphed away from, and all the various other items in the "punchlist" file. And to write and at least minimally edit the "final showdown" and "epilogue" scenes that I haven't gotten onto the page yet. Right?

I'd better stop blogging and get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment