Saturday, March 15, 2008

Baby Steps

Not bad for a slacker... I've actually written something more days than not this week. That's some kind of progress. Can't say I've had any plot breakthroughs, or really done anything more than play around with a new "eye-in-the-sky third person" narrative voice, which I want to use to sneak in some perspective beyond the MC's first person which is the bulk of the book. This may or may not turn out to be a success. At the moment its reading like "The Lovely Bones" as written by Janet Evanovich chanelling Virginia Woolf. Personally I think the rather overblown and self-mockingly pompous tone is funny and just what I was aiming for, but am not sure anyone else will get it. Perhaps not the best way to open the book?

Feels good to have a toe or two back in the groove, though. And since I am still in the process of stumbling toward a complete draft, I'll let editorial decisions wait for later. More important is to keep slogging ahead at something resembling a steady pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment